Tuesday, June 15, 2010

My Husband; My Friend

l_c0ffee64df4431bec82ab07fbb330d43

One of the deepest and most intimate relationships we will ever have in our life is one with our spouse. My hubby and I were best friends for about a year before we began dating. He pursued me for about 5 months before I gave in and gave him my heart.

I am so glad that I did! The other day in my pajamas and sporting the bed head with un-brushed teeth he tells me I am beautiful. It doesn’t get any better than that!!

Our relationship with our spouse is one that is definitely unique. There are moments of vulnerability and companionship; trust and arguments; respect and pain. Marriage is definitely work.

So not the fairytale I believed as a child, young woman, then adult. There are not endless nights of romance. Marriage does not hold days upon days of gazing lovingly into one another's eyes. It does not provide a house full of roses, candlelight and strawberries. There are not hours upon hours of loving conversation.

That is why friendship within our marriage is vitally important for survival. We need this someone we are spending our “forever” with to be a person we can trust, rely on, believe in, and love. We need this person to be someone we can communicate openly with and then together enjoy the most comfortable moments of silence.

The bond of friendship can’t be formed based on a one-sided decision. Just as with our girlfriends, it requires two people giving. Many marriages fail and none are safe from the enemy. However, they are meant to last and they can last by incorporating God’s principles into our marriage and coming together as “one”. (Ephesians 5:31)

I am thankful that above all the people in my life, my husband is the best friend that I have. I can go to him about anything and he is there---supporting me, loving me, and helping me grow.

I pray each of you have a friendship wrapped into your relationship with your spouse.

Share with me how you think friendship plays a role in marriage. Leave your answer in the comments section below.

Blessings-

Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment