Friday, September 4, 2009

My own good news

I do not watch the news. Well, not as much as I can help it. My husband is a news junkie . He listens to it on the radio often and on TV. When I listen to the news, I remember why I am so against it. Not against the news as information, but against allowing myself to watch it too much. With everything that is going on in our country and around the world these days, it can be very disheartening.

Children kidnapped, economy sinking further each day, healthcare being questioned and protested, murders, suicides and so much more. I like to picture my world full of peace. The news would be awesome if they reported: “Today millions of butterflies were seen fluttering in a field of lilies.” or “In debt? Don’t worry, God has all the credits you need.” LOL… (Shouldn’t have watched all those fairytales when I was younger.)

The reason I cannot allow myself to get involved in the news is because I can find myself wrapped in fear. Oh, I always know who is bigger than that fear and each time, I give it over to Him. However, some people can let it govern their lives. Upon watching the news with a group of people yesterday a man felt his need to share his take on every topic. He is very passionate about his feelings, but also you can hear the fear in his voice over what “could” happen.

After listening to him, I felt led to say “Yes, I know it is scary to think of these things and this world is filled with evil. That is why I just have to trust in God to take care of me because His word promises me that He will take care of His children.” “These things happening in our world could be the signs that the end of the world is approaching. To me, all the better, because it shows me His prophecies are being fulfilled and that He will come back and we won’t have to worry anymore over these things.”

But I recognized myself in him. That could and at times can be… me. That is the exact reason that I do not allow myself to watch the news a lot. I don’t want to worry over everything that is out of my control. Still, I believe I have a voice and that I am to use it. I believe that I am to set an example and stand up for what I believe in, and I do. But what I am trying to say is that I try not to surround my life with negative thoughts all day. That is why I limit my news intake.
Seeking God’s word on the fear that I can allow myself to swim in at times, I came across the following verse:

... Say to those with fearful hearts, "Be strong, do not fear; your God will come, he will come with vengeance; with divine retribution he will come to save you."Isaiah 35:4

This says to me, “Rachel, yes; the world is full of evil. There are things that you know are wrong that happen every day. There are so many that do not believe in God and the enemy does have full reign of this earth to tread to and fro. BUT; be strong and do not fear because THE God is your God and He promises to take care of His children. He will come and destroy all that is wrong with this world. You are saved from evil.” …..

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of doubt, I will fear no evil. For thou art with me….

If you feel your life is at times run by fear, know that you are not alone. However, recognize that it is the enemy’s way of stealing your peace and taking your focus off the good that God can do.
And even though I didn’t hear on the news about those butterflies in the field of lilies something else incredible happened to me…. in person.

We have a hummingbird feeder on our porch directly in front of our rocking chairs. At first, the hummingbirds were afraid to come drink because the feeder is so close to the chairs. They have eventually gotten used to us sitting there and we now find them drinking all through the day. Yesterday while outside I was standing directly to the left of the feeder about 12 inches away…only 12 inches. I was watching my husband work in the yard. I heard wings flapping at the speed of lightning, and because I am always so afraid of scaring them off, I was startled and felt like I was invading his space. I made no sudden movements, but turned my head slightly to get a better look and saw right smack in front of me every feather, every color, every speedy flap of his wings, his feet and even the nectar that dripped from his beak when he was done. He looked at me for a split second after eating and then flew away.

No one saw this but me, I knew if I tried to get my husband’s attention by yelling for him to look, that the bird would have left. I felt very thankful for that small gift from God. Afterwards, I relished in the joy that incident brought me and thought of how cool my God is.

It spoke to me of my wonderful God, and that is all the “news” I need. That my God is awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment