Monday, July 16, 2012

Hot, Cold, Lukewarm


“‘I know your works: you are neither cold nor hot. I would that you were either cold or hot! So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth."

What does it mean to be a lukewarm Christian? Is there such a thing? Do any of these sound like you?
1.       A lukewarm Christian believes in God, but is not quite comfortable sharing Him with others.
2.      A lukewarm Christian presents him/herself one way around believers and another around non-believers.
3.       A lukewarm Christian doesn’t want to lose friends by standing up for their beliefs. Christians are called Christians because they are Christ followers and they believe Gods Holy Word…the Bible. Lukewarm Christians only choose to believe parts of the Bible.
4.      A Lukewarm Christian doesn’t allow God to control their life.
5.       A Lukewarm Christian makes decisions based on life on earth without thinking of eternity.
6.      A Lukewarm Christian lives in the flesh and not the spirit.
7.       A Lukewarm Christian stands up for what the world believes in and not what God calls us to represent.

These above are just a few examples. I have been guilty of some or all of them at one time in my life. Even today, I find there are times that I am convicted of my actions because God has revealed to me that I am not living according to His Word.

This world is ever changing. Daily we are faced with many issues that we must decide which side of the fence we sit on. Christians do not want to appear hypocritical, mean, judgmental, or rude so they bite their tongue when it comes to heavy, soul saving, life changing issues.

I think where Christians at times get hung up is that yes, Jesus wants us to love all. However, many think that a part of loving is to ignore sin and remain quite so as not to hurt anyone’s feeling. Yes, He wants us to be compassionate, caring, giving, and loving. But, part of loving is pointing out sin and standing up for God and His word. Jesus pointed out sin to the sinful often and lovingly, without condemning…“go and sin no more” John 8:11

Below are some verses which explain how God wants us as Christians to be in the world, but not a part of the world. I hope they help you as they have helped me.

1 John 2:15-16 

Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride in possessions—is not from the Father but is from the world.

Matthew 12:30 

Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters.

James 3:10-12 

From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be so. Does a spring pour forth from the same opening both fresh and salt water? Can a fig tree, my brothers, bear olives, or a grapevine produce figs? Neither can a salt pond yield fresh water.

Matthew 16:26 

For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what shall a man give in return for his soul?

2 Timothy 4:3 

For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions,

2 Corinthians 6:14-18 

Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness? What accord has Christ with Belial? Or what portion does a believer share with an unbeliever? What agreement has the temple of God with idols? For we are the temple of the living God; as God said, “I will make my dwelling among them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. Therefore go out from their midst, and be separate from them, says the Lord, and touch no unclean thing; then I will welcome you, and I will be a father to you, and you shall be sons and daughters to me, says the Lord Almighty.”

2 Timothy 3:4 

Treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God,

1 Peter 3:15 

But in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect…

It is my prayer that I will be a true follower. I pray that those who I disagree with will know that it is not out of hate but out of love. We will never agree with everyone on the same issues. I do not hate those whose opinion differs from mine. Often times with Christians that is not the case, as people will believe I am being close minded and hateful. I only hope that regardless of whether someone thinks I hate them or hate the sin, that at least I am genuine and true to God. I want to be a HOT Christian on fire for God. 

Rachel W. Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment